BOBBY for Nylon Korea (November 2014 Edition)










[TRANS] BOBBY’S INTERVIEW FOR NYLON MAGAZINE [NOVEMBER 2014 ISSUE]


Interviewer: Did people react differently to you after you won <Show Me The Money 3>?

Bobby: Oh! No way! I haven’t had a chance to feel my popularity since I’m always either in the practice room or the studio. When I’m at the airport or doing a recording there are times where people recognize me. I’m so surprised and thankful that there are people who like me.

Interviewer: Your popularity is a much more than you think it is.

Bobby: Oh! No way! I’m so thankful.

Interviewer: Are you maybe embarrassed?

Bobby: It’s just that it’s the first time I’m hearing something like this haha.

Interviewer: Do you like hot dogs and pizza? (It was actually the menu on that day)

Bobby: It’s true that like it more than Korean food. I’m like a kid who likes sausage and cheese.

Interviewer: You’re someone who eats a lot but doesn’t gain weight right?

Bobby: I practice dancing everyday so I just lose weight naturally.

Interviewer: Do you like sports?

Bobby: I like watching it and participating in it as well. I want to try ice hockey sometime.

Interviewer: Ice Hockey seems to match you well. I watched all of <Show Me The Money> and you made it look like there was something more behind your rap.

Bobby: Even though I was happy when I won <Show Me The Money>, I felt like I lost a lot of confidence in myself. It was a shame because I felt like I could have done better than what was shown.

Interviewer: I really liked the rap lyrics that you wrote yourself. It really felt like you were telling your own story and expressing your feelings.

Bobby: Personally, I like moving things around when I’m writing lyrics. The things that I wanted to say matched well with the concept of the show so I felt like “Wow this works!”. I really enjoyed writing these lyrics.

Interviewer: This program changed the perception that people have of idol rappers.

Bobby: That was my main goal. People look at idol rappers with ease. They consider that idol rappers are rapping lyrics written by other people. It upset me that people could assume the same thing of me so I wanted to break the prejudice against idol rappers. I know that idol rappers can be embarrassed of their skills so I worked hard to show this image.

Interviewer: You used the word ‘destroy’ a lot in the program.

Bobby: It fit well with the atmosphere and also sounds cool for some reason.

Interviewer: Haha, you’re right. Can you describe your rap style?

Bobby: From the moment the song starts until the moment it ends, it has to be cool. It has to be cool no matter what.

Interviewer: What is this 'coolness’?

Bobby: Um, being manly. Being tough and saying everything you want to say, I think that’s real coolness. I don’t need to cover up and I keep things raw. I will be using this same concept in my raps in the future as well.

Interviewer: Did you pronounce that word so it would rhyme?

Bobby: It just came out freely haha.

Interviewer: It seems that you pay attention to the things that make you look charismatic.

Bobby: If you think of it in the way that the agency is school, then I’m about to graduate. For the past four years, I constantly took videos weekly and during monthly evaluations. It was hard, but because of it I was able to see which expressions worked best. I learned that it’s not just about singing and dancing on stage, adding in motions and gestures are what creates the mood of the performances.

Interviewer: How much of it do you think are your talents?

Bobby: I think your amount of talent changes based on how hard you work and how much time you spend practicing. If you stop practicing, your talent stops improving. But if you constantly practice, your talent develops.

Interviewer: I thought that it was a talent that you were born with, that’s surprising. You’ve competed on three survival shows <WIN> <Show Me The Money> and <Mix & Match>. Have you ever thought that they were too severe?

Bobby: I was like that at first but when I look at my experiences, survival programs have bettered me as a musician. I don’t think there is any other format besides a survival show where a musician can develop so much even through the difficulties. Because of this I am thankful to our CEO.

Interviewer: We can sometimes see the mentalities of the other members getting weaker [on the show], but it looks like survival type atmospheres match well with you.

Bobby: This is because the other members are more tensed while I have more of a “this will pass” mentality. Whenever we’re given a mission, I always think that I’ll somehow find a way to solve it [instead of worrying]. I’m still young and I believe that I will come across more opportunities in the future.

Interviewer: While you were participating in survival programs, have you ever thought 'I’ll never be able to beat this person’?

Bobby: I actually have thought the opposite. I thought that if I worked hard, the other contestants wouldn’t be able to beat me.

Interviewer: Have you ever wanted to steal someone else’s talent? Who’s/what talent would you steal?

Bobby: Hm, it’s not really a case of one or two people. I would want to combine 0.1% of the talents of my favorite rappers.

Interviewer: You seem pretty greedy.

Bobby: That’s right. I’ve thought about it a lot. 'How cool would it be if I could steal a little bit of talent from all rappers.'

Interviewer: That’s a mature answer for a 20 year old. Since when have you been so positive?

Bobby: It got passed down from my parents. To me, my parents were the scariest teachers but also the comedians who made me laugh the most. Ever since I was little, I received a positive energy from my parents so it just became a part of me.

Interviewer: Currently what is the thing you need most?

Bobby: Hm, love. The weather is cooling down and there is nothing better than lyrics about love. When I look at my past experiences, I wrote great lyrics when I was in love. They weren’t lyrics that came from my head, but they were lyrics that came from my heart. Those kinds of lyrics couldn’t be written without the experiences; there is sincerity that could only be captured at that time.

Interviewer: No matter what the emotion, it multiplies when you’re dating, you’re someone who would know that.

Bobby: Exactly. Because you’re writing the stories from you’re heart, there is a better outcome when you write the lyrics while you’re dating.

Interviewer: What’s your biggest concern lately?

Bobby: Um, Christmas. I’m worried because I don’t have a girlfriend to go to Christmas events with.

Interviewer: There’s still quite a while left until Christmas. Do you have any Christmas plans yet?

Bobby: I want to have fun this Christmas since last Christmas was a bit boring.

Interviewer: I hope you have a good time this Christmas. What sort of label do you want to receive for yourself?

Bobby: Just 'Rapper Bobby.’ I want to gain acknowledgment as a rapper. It’s enough just to have that word [rapper] appear before my name.

Interviewer: What do you think is the best thing you did this year?

Bobby: Participating in <Show Me The Money>.

Interviewer: Not the fact that you won?

Bobby: Just participating in the show meant a lot to me. I thought that if I didn’t do well on the show, it would be a losing game. There were so many rappers who did great which put a lot of pressure on me. Because of that, I just constantly practiced. It’s because of this that I was able to win.

Interviewer: Today was your first interview. What kinds of memories will you have of today?

Bobby: I will remember today as a day to revisit myself. I usually don’t think of myself on a deep level, but today was my first time and it felt really new and nice.

Interviewer: I have something I really wanted to ask you. Exactly when are you debuting?

Bobby: Um, I don’t really know because you only reap what you sow. It’s a situation where I keep doing whatever I can to sow the seeds so that someday the outcome will be as fruitful as expected.

TRANS CREDIT; Deeana at ygikon

Source: http://ygikon.tumblr.com/post/100384336821/trans-bobbys-interview-for-nylon-magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment