KIM JINHWAN for Madame Figaro JP (February 2018 Edition)




Interview Translations by @hizashino on Twitter











Interview Translations by @hizashino on Twitter

PART 1/3
Figaro homme

A moment with him. Vol. 29


Jinhwan iKON


The city where I live, where I sing–Seoul.

The group’s oldest member, 23 years old. We crossed the sea to meet Jinhwan, whose honorable character left an impression.

Profile: Jinhwan

Born in Korea in 1994. Began his training period at YG Entertainment in 2011. Participated in survival programs in 2013–4, debuted in iKON in 2015. A vocalist. iKON received the Rookie Award at the Japan Record Awards in 2016, was named New Artist of the Year at the Japan Golden Disk Awards in 2017. Latest release, the mini album New Kids: Begin.

Whenever he’s feeling anxious, Jinhwan walks along Hangang while listening to music.


On a corner in Seongsu where there are a lot of factories. His outfits on both the left and right pages are the stylist’s personal clothes.


“I don’t come here much, but it’s a nice place,” said Jinhwan. In front of a printing factory in Seongsu. His outfits on the left and right pages are the stylist’s personal clothes.


PART 2/3
[t/n: This is the main interview.]


Seven years ago, when he was sixteen, Jinhwan came to Seoul from Jeju, a resort island called the Hawaii of Korea. 


“I lived by myself for the first time when I came to Seoul. Living there was the first time I experienced Seoul,” he began slowly. When we asked what he meant, it was that he keenly felt the fierce competition of urban life.


In the end, he was able to conquer his first competition, and with his dance and vocal group, iKON, he has performed on large stages. He first wanted to become a singer ten years ago—from a somewhat simple episode.

It all started with karaoke in Jeju.


“I’ve liked karaoke since I was in middle school. I went a lot after school. Back then playing games at internet cafes was in, but I would go to karaoke.”


When Jinhwan was a student, he was influenced by many different idols and artists. And before he knew it, through karaoke, he started to think that he too wanted to become a singer, that he too wanted to express himself.


“I sang “Ifuleave” by Musiq Soulchild ft. Mary J. Blige for my audition. After deciding that I wanted to become a professional singer, I referenced people like Ne-Yo who can sing and dance, and I studied and imitated them a lot.”


The song Jinhwan chose on his predebut survival show WIN: Who Is Next was Usher’s “There Goes My Baby.” It’s a slow song about a man who wants the girl he loves all to himself, and Jinhwan sang it so sweetly in a slightly husky voice. He was only twenty at the time.


In Korea, it’s standard practice for trainees to undergo more than five years of tough training before debut. When we told him that we thought Korean artists have higher quality dancing and singing than those in Japan, Jinhwan was humble. “I…guess?” he said. It seems that Jinhwan’s mindset hasn’t changed much since he first auditioned to now that he’s had his big break.


In any case, he loves music, and lately he’s been into old R&B and soul music. When he wants to take a bit of a break, he’ll sometimes wander aimlessly around Mangwon Hangang Park.


“I like Boyz II Men, and like, Blackstreet. It’s music that came out around when I was born, so it sounds new. You can also feel a heaviness in the lyrics from music from that period. Whenever I feel anxious, I listen to music in Hangang.”


If he has his beloved coffee when he’s there, it’s even better. It’s really quite a simple way for him to spend his time. How Jinhwan and the members spend time with each other is also quite nice.


“We go to karaoke together a lot. We sing Korean ballads and stuff. I like Kim Gunmo’s music, so I sing his song “Areumdaun ibyeol [Beautiful Parting].” When I peform, I want to look cool, but at karaoke, it’s like, I don’t have to think about anything and can just let loose and have fun.”


PART 3/3
[t/n: This is the main interview.]

The members are my friends, and a precious family.


The members are close to each other. They’re so close that Jinhwan said, “I’m busy so I can’t make any friends, but everyone in iKON is my friend. Also, they’re my family.” Lately they watch movies on Netflix together quite a bit.


“I go to the movie theater wearing a mask, but lately I watch movies at home. Aside from me, Yunhyeong and Junhoe like movies. I like romance movies like Cyrano Agency (2010), and I like stuff with detectives. Three days ago I watched one with Takeuchi Yuko…what was it…” (It took him one minute to remember.) “Creepy (2016)? Well, that one was good.” 


Jinhwan and the other six: They watch movies together, and they are friends in both their public and private lives. Jinhwan was like a mother to them back when they debuted. Even in an interview we did for a previous issue with Bobby, he said that Jinhwan is their mother.


“But I don’t think I’m like a mom now. I think it’s been different lately. Everyone was young before, but now they’ve really got it together, so they don’t need me to be like a mother anymore.”


As a result of their youth, the members can get wild and restless, but Jinhwan puts them back on track—that motherly role has probably become obsolete.



“Junhoe has grown up the most. We’re close, so we always fought. About his manners, about work. When I’d get mad, even though he was the youngest, he’d get mad at me right back and stuff. But now if I scold him, he’s like “Okay, got it,” all obedient. (laughs)”

New kids of Seoul.


Even if we see him shine brightly on the stage in Japan, it’s difficult to capture how he is in life. But after talking with him for the interview, we realized that he’s very much a regular young man. He walks along riverbanks, and he goes to karaoke. He also goes Cheongdamgol, where you can get a ton of side dishes for only 800 yen. 


“I also like Namsan. Since you can have fun even late at night! Unlike Tokyo, Seoul has a lot of places where you can have fun late at night, so it’s great. And you can drink.”


When the talk turned to alcohol, we gave our gift to Jinhwan, a wine lover. Our gift was a wine decanter from the brand Birdy., and it improves the taste just from pouring. When we started to explain that the brand came from automobile coating technology in Toyota, Aichi, he told us that he’s heard of the brand before.


Jinhwan answered all of our questions politely in Japanese. At the end of his first solo interview, he said thank you and gave a small bow. He left the studio popping vegetable kimbap into his mouth. Though small in stature, there was a sense of steadfastness in his retreating frame.


Trans by Shino @ iKON GLOBAL | take out with full credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment