JINHWAN, YUNHYEONG, BOBBY, B.I for Dazed Korea (May 2016 Edition)




Interview Trans by @_konic




























Interview Trans by @_konic

DAZED & CONFUSED (May 2016):

iKON's B.I, Bobby, Yunhyeong and Jinhwan for Dazed Korea May 2016:
Q: How was the all-nighter shoot? (the shoot was taken at 4 in the morning)
Yunhyeong: It was fun. And different from a concept we usually do.
Jinhwan: It's the first time that only the 4 of us are doing a shoot. The makeup, hair and clothes are different from what we usually do so it was interesting and strange, but it was a good experience.
B.I: Wasn't all of this possible because of <Dazed>?
Q: As expected of leader, the answer I wanted. You debuted in September of 2015 and though 6 months have passed, you've swept the rookie awards and have an increasing fandom outside of Korea as well. How do you see this?
B.I: I receive awards with the thought that we should work harder. Since debut I've never once felt 100% satisfied.
Q: In what aspect?
B.I: We need to continue to develop so that we can create the picture that we have in our minds. It's the stage to get close to that place.
Bobby: I'm the same. Whether it's a broadcast promotion or a performance. I can see our individual greed growing. We're still lacking.
B.I: I see room for us to finally develop in our skills, mindset and all other aspects to make up for how unsatisfied we are.
Q: Though you're a rookie, the fact that you're a prominent figure overseas is amazing. You performed for 150.000 people on your Japan Arena Tour and your debut album rose up to 4th place on the Oricon chart. And you have a Chinese tour coming up. iKON are definitely gaining recognition as the next generation hallyu 'icon'.
B.I: I'm thankful and we are lucky idols, but I do have some doubts/suspicions. Why do they like us? For domestic fans it's probably because of our survival shows before debut that were a chance for us to show ourselves so the fans must have felt like they raised us and grew attached.
Bobby: I'm thankful to have overseas fans that give us love despite the differences in language and culture. We like overseas artists as well, so it's amazing to think that we could become like them.
Yunhyeong: It's interesting how in Korea we have a lot of fans in their teens, but in Japan there are young fans, and even older fans who have white hair. And I think the sentiment is a little different, there are many fans that feel like family.
Q: What are your thoughts on your advancement into China?
Jinhwan: Of course I'd like for us to have high popularity in China. I feel the same with any country. I'll give my absolute best for each and every performance.
B.I: I'm studying the language.
Q: You're even on charts like Billboard and last year you were in the Top 5 K-Pop artists to look out for. When will you market to America?
B.I: Ah, I have greed for that as well. We want to conquer the whole world. Up to Africa, everywhere.
Q: What weapon does the overseas iKON have?
B.I: Firstly, we have big ambitions and the desire to run towards success.
Q: Isn't it fine to just have ambitions?
Bobby: We honestly don't know why they overseas fans love us so much.
Yunhyeong: But rather than shining like a celebrity, we still have that neighborhood friend vibe. Is it because of that?
B.I: Like some friends? People who aren't out of reach?
Q: If you had to define iKON's music in one word, what would it be? It doesn't seem that all 7 of you would stick to the same genre.
B.I: The genres we like individually are definitely different. So we have consideration. Because the music we can do individually and the music we can do as a team are different, when we work as a team, it becomes one. And if one of us gets the chance to go solo, he will be able to do his own style of music.
Jinhwan: I see this as our strength. If the music iKON does and the music we want to do personally was the same, there wouldn't be any individuality when one of us were to release a solo album. So, because the music we want to do separately is unique, we put together our charms and become the existence of iKON.
Q: So what kind of music can you say iKON does as a team? Is it right to say that the base is hip-hop?
B.I: Firstly, our base is hip-hop, but we are still planning on finding and doing several different genres. We're at the stage of finding something new without throwing away hip-hop.
Q: So it's absolutely necessary that you each compose songs. How do you receive inspiration?
B.I: Once I get the energy to make a song, I just naturally have conversations or get inspiration from a new experience.
Bobby: I also get inspiration from TV dramas. In the scenes when a female and male character appeal to each other, there are cases where I take the inspiration from that moment and write everything down one by one, put it together, and make lyrics. I don't always gain inspiration from special things. I also gain a lot of inspiration from daily life.
Jinhwan: All of the songs Bobby writes are realty 'Bobby-like.' Maybe it's because he expresses himself and tells a story through his experiences. 'laughs'
Q: It's difficult to create something that relates to you. You need a character to make that possible. There is a fine array of sunbaes in YG. How do they influence you?
B.I: A lot of them are very reliable and confident, so there's a lot we receive by just watching. Even so, the sunbaes don't want us to go down the same road. So I want to go down a totally opposite road and meet them in the same place. Going different ways but ending up at the same place! Whenever! Whenever is important. Lets emphasize on whenever.
Bobby: Our sunbaes have many achievements. Thinking about what we should do to be like that, we feel burdened but it also stimulates us to work harder.
Jinhwan: Since long ago, I really liked Danny-hyungnim from 1Tym. And since Big Bang were the best when I was in middle school, I realty liked them too. (laughs) With nothing to hide, I was influenced by all of them. (laughs)
Yunhyeong: I learned a lot by doing the opening performance for Big Bang hyungs. I learned what to do to get cheers from the fans and how to be cool.
Q: You live together, so you must know each other's pros and cons very well.
Yunhyeong: As a team, our advantage is that we don't fight.
Q: Because you don't care about each other?
(all laugh)
Yunhyeong: There are kids who shoot and then kids who receive it well and in the middle, there are kids that are moderate and always have the right answer.
Q: Who's in charge of moderation?
Yunhyeong: For moderation... probably Jinhwan-hyung...
B.I: But I'm the one who shoots.
Yunhyeong: Bobby and B.I shoot and Donghyuk receives it well.
Jinhwan: Our members are only Blood Type A and 0. Those two blood types have good compatibility.
Q: That's right I agree.
B.I: Our separate strengths? In Yunhyeong-hyung's case, he grasps onto situations quickly. When he understands your feelings, he always takes on the role of working hard. A disadvantage, not having a disadvantage is a disadvantage. In Jinhwan-hyung's case, not having an advantage is his advantage. (laughs) Ah, he has a lot of interest in language, so he helps us when we go to China or Japan. Between us, we also have someone who's bad at studying. Like Bobby-hyung. (laughs)
Bobby: I'm good at studying! (laughs) Different from his looks, Jinhwan-hyung's nickname is a 'little giant' because of his huge confidence. In any situation, he has enough energy to be reckless. There are many times where I follow that.
Yunhyeong: Whenever you're joking around and need a shot (to calm down), you can do so with Jinhwan-hyung's words.
B.I: Because he's the eldest.
Bobby: That's right, that's right!
B.I: His weakness is that he has a moody personality. (laughs)
Jinhwan: They say this every time we do an interview. Lately. I haven't been moody.
B.I: Ah, lately he's been a little, should I say "High"? Now, Jinhwan-ssi tell us the dongsaengs strengths.
Jinhwan: Bobby has a lot of excitement. When things get awkward, he does something first to bring the energy up.
Yunhyeong: There's also that thing. If Bobby is in a good mood when we do a concert, the whole concert turns out well.
Bobby: laughs
Jinhwan: Instead, when Bobby's energy falls, we all fall together. His energy is that rooted.
Q: The role of the powerhouse, B.I as the leader how is it? Since he's young, but still the leader.
Yunhyeong: I always think of him as a dongsaeng, but when we're practicing, I don't feel that even once.
Bobby: The reason why we don't realty feel his age is because he's really democratic. Without the need to say hyung or dongsaeng, once we all eat, we play rock paper scissors to decide who cleans the table. Even if the eldest loses, the eldest cleans.
Jinhwan: So B.I has complete influence on all of the hyungs and dongsaengs. I think he's a heavenly leader.
Bobby: The thing that could be misunderstood is that it can seem dictatorial. They might see him as a dictator.
Jinhwan: He's objective.
Bobby: He's objective and thorough.
Jinhwan: Different from his charm, he's realty tender-hearted and emotional.
Q: Lately, it's natural for group members to have their own activities. The same way you went on <Infinity Challenge>, is there an area or direction you want to challenge?
B.I: I want to continue on with the path of making music and performing. But we don't know what could happen. We may come across a bump or find something alluring on the way. (laughs)
Bobby: The most fun thing I've done my whole life is this music. So I want to continue doing it. If the opportunity comes later, maybe an advertisement? (laughs)
B.I: I agree with advertisement. Once our faces become more recognizable to the public. We have a lot of that kind of ambition.
Jinhwan: I still ...
B.I: Jinhwan-hyung wants to go into acting.
Yunhyeong: He really yearns for it.
Jinhwan: Ah, because my visuals don't work out (for acting) my greed for it died. Until now, my only ambition is music. One day, I hope to put out a solo album. I like doing the music I want.
B.I: Yunhyeong-hyung, what about you? Are you a CF star?
Yunhyeong: I'm thinking about acting later on, and work hard if a variety show that matches well with me invites me over.
Q: This question was requested by the noonas. What is your ideal type? The most updated version.
B.I: I don't have a specific ideal type. I just go off the feeling and vibe from the outer appearance. I like someone with a charming gaze. Something Avant-regard. (laughs)
Jinhwan: Up to this day, the person I stuck to was different from my ideal type. Commonly, someone with a good heart.
Yunhyeong: Before, it was a woman who I could lead/teach. Lately, it's changed to an intellectual woman. I like someone who can teach me and that I can learn from.
Bobby: Opposite from Yunhyeong's, I like a woman who I could lead and someone who can gain a lot from me too.
B.I: Give and take?
Q: It sounds like you're describing someone sympathetic. Noonas aren't the only ones sending their love to iKON. The fashion industry sends their love too. If the fashion industry does, you know you've turned out well. Especially Bobby-ssi, you're number 1 on the list of people wanting to invite you (to the industry).
Bobby: Woah, it's the first time I hear this.
Yunhyeong: It doesn't match well because Bobby always wears his pants low. (laughs)
Bobby: What is this so suddenly. (laughs)
Jinhwan: A lot of random things match well with Bobby.
Bobby: It's because my face is lackluster. The color white is a drawing board.
Yunhyeong: He poses really well. His gestures in magazine shoots are no joke.
Q: Honestly who likes unsophisticated things? Music and fashion go together.
Bobby: B.I tries the most challenging fashion within iKON. And that goes well. For me, rather than something flashy, I like street-fashion and casual clothes. Instead of regular shirts, I like hoodies and t-shirts.
Yunhyeong: Completely different. I like the dandy style. Because my face is dark/strong, I like suits that aren't too flashy. A basic feeling. (laughs)
Jinhwan: Everyone's talking at the same time. I like the dandy style, but sometimes I suddenly switch to more casual fashion too.
B.I: Rather than attempting fashion, I just wear whatever I want without purpose. I like shoes more than clothes, so I have a firm criteria of my favorite brands.
Q: There is advancement in the digital generation where we can quickly exchange information. How do you see this?
B.I: It's sad.
Bobby: Why? I really like it?
B.I: There are some good points, but I like the sentiment of analog better.
Q: That's respectable. People born in the 90's know a lot about it.
B.I: There are so many convenient things about it, but wherever you go people are looking at their cellphones. It's sad to see. It's even worse when I see myself looking at my phone in the mirror.
Jinhwan: You look at your phone more than anyone. (laughs)
B.I: It's sad.
Q: Bobby-ssi said he liked it.
Bobby: It's really comfortable for communication. With a few taps of my fingers, I can find out what my friend in America is doing and even make video calls. I usually don't buy magazines, but I like how it's possible to quickly see it on the intemet.
Jinhwan: Even though it's convenient, it's not only good.
Yunhyeong: It has it's advantages, but it also has solid disadvantages.
Bobby: Is it good or is it bad? (laughs)
Q: Who are your 'icons'?
B.I: Not as an influence for music, but just as people. Napoleon, Mozart, Lee Soonshin and Jang-goon.
Bobby: What do they have in common?
B.I: Their beliefs and principles are important.
Jinhwan: Kim Hyunsik sunbaenim. He has really cool music and I really felt his love for the art. I respect him.
Bobby: For me, rather than living a luxurious and flashy life. I want to live a happy life. My dad is living a pretty happy life, so I want to live like him.
Yunhyeong: Through development and growth, I want to become an 'icon' that will be looked well upon by anyone.
Q: Since it's the 8th anniversary of <Dazed>, what will iKON do on their 8th birthday?
B.I: We'll probably be in the army. (laughs)
Jinhwan: Seems so, we have to go to the army.
Yunhyeong: Even if we age, we will be the same that we are now. Playing jokes like this.
B.I: We will become the best.
Jinhwan: I hope we can be the best in Korea.
Source via mischievous



No comments:

Post a Comment