iKON for @star1 Magazine Korea (March 2016 Edition)


















Interview Trans by @ikonOT7

Star1 (Vol. 48):

Q. You’re the oldest but the members see you as a cute member like the maknae. Have you ever been hurt by their joking? Also how is filming with B.I for <Mari&Me> ?

Jinhwan: I’m the maknae at home so I became a hyung for the first time after I became part of iKON. So I think I have trouble playing the part of hyung. I think it’s better to be comfortable like a friend but I think it’s just that the rest don’t see me as hyung *laughs*. I think it’s nice that they think I’m cute and joke around with me because they see me as a close friend.
As for <Mari&Me>, it’s 1 night and 2 days spent taking good care of different animals, so instead of feeling like I’m filming something, I always feel that I’ve come back from having a great time. I think I have trouble taking care of my image and stuff like that. The pomeranian family that we had first is the most memorable for me. 

Q. What kind of company is YG to iKON? Yang Hyun Suk had very strict, controlling image during the survival shows - has that changed since debut?

B.I: YG is a company that gives endlessly to its artists. Thanks to it, we’re able to work hard on our music. 

Bobby: Yang CEO is a perfectionist and someone who’s like father. He tends to tell us where we’re lacking more than he compliments us, but I prefer that. I get to realize right away where I need to improve and that’s a good thing.

Jinhwan: We’ve entered an even crueler society post survival and I think that’s why he encourages us more than he did before. However, I think his expectations for us have gotten much higher and that he would have been disappointed in us many times as well. We’re trying to do our best to fulfill his expectations. 

Q. You stood before public in 2013 on <WIN> as Team  and in the 3 years since, many things have changed. You’ve been met with so many successes, so it seems that it would be difficult to maintain your rookie mindsets. Do you believe you’re heading the right way, not straying from your path ? 

B.I: It hasn’t even been half of a year since we debuted, so I think we haven’t had enough time to get even close to the point we’ve been dreaming of. We’re incredibly thankful and honored every time we win #1 or a Rookie Award, but we don’t allow it to make us lazy. Since we believe they’re always things that we don’t quite deserve, we’re working hard to bring even better music. 

Bobby: Our goals are so clear that we still haven’t achieved enough, but I believe we’re going towards our dreams, getting better and better on the way. 

June: Not a single one of us believes that we’re all that. We’ve never been 100% satisfied with our songs or performances, either. That’s why we don’t have second to spare spent being cocky or to lose our rookie mindset. We watch the BIGBANG sunbaenims, who always show their best selves to get ourselves on point. 

Chanwoo: We never feel prideful. We know that we’re still so lacking. Before debuting, debuting was our only goal and now, we’re dreaming of iKON having a world tour. We’re so thankful that we’ve gotten to do a Japan tour - I feel like we’re slowly getting closer to making our dreams come true. 

Q. You’ve mentioned that before you debuted, your dream was to be an actor , not a singer and that you began training when you were lacking in both singing and dancing. The members choose Song Yunhyeong as the member who’s grown the most - do you agree ? Also, what is cherry lip balm to Song Yunhyeong?

Yunhyeong: I agree. At first, I really didn’t know how to do anything. When I first entered YG I still wanted to be an actor, so it was difficult for me to adjust. I contemplated quitting but the members helped me fast at that time. Being a trainee was so difficult I didn’t think I could bear it, but thank to the members, now like family, who held out their hands to me first I was able to open the doors of my heart and that was when I began slowly unfolding my dream of becoming a singer.
I’ve once said that cherry lip balm is my treasured possession. It’s a perfect lip balm for me so now it’s like a good luck charm. I get weirdly nervous without it and it’s actually in my pocket right now.

Q. You entered the group as the last member through <MIX & MATCH>, what are some of the difficulties that only a maknae would know? I also notice that you tease Bobby hyung a lot -why him ? Also, you acted in KBS2 <BOYS OVER FLOWERS>, SBS <THE HEIRS> and others before debut; do you have any desire to continue acting ? 

Chanwoo: There aren’t any particular struggles. We tend to decide things fairly  through rock paper scissors. However, the hyungs like to call me to do stuff for them when they’re feeling lazy *laughs*. Normally I bicker with and bother Yunhyeong hyung a lot, but on broadcast I bother Bobby hyung. He has called me “Bobby’s mortal enemy” before, but when I first entered and wasn’t quite comfortable with other hyungs, he helped me out a lot so I rely on him and get closer to him a lot.
My main job is to be a singer, so if I work hard there and the opportunity arises I’d like to attempt acting again too. 

Q. We can’t not talk about the leader B.I’s role. Is B.I a good leader ? 

B.I: I actually don’t know what kind of leader is a good leader. Normally I try not to put myself out there like a leader, but as a comfortable friend. I’m always thankful to the members who follow me so well. There’s times when I say harsh things, but I’m always so sorry and my heart hurts whenever it happens. I personally think nothing is impossible - I think I do get a little harsh in order to bring out the best in iKON, so that they’d take it to heart. 

Jinhwan: I think he was born to be a leader. When he’s like a sharp blade, he’s extremely sharp. When we’re learning choreography or recording, he’s very sensitive and overflowing with charisma, but normally he’s the complete opposite. I like it because he’s slightly dorky. 

June: He’s a Spartan leader. When we’re working he concentrates solely on that and gets things done in orderly way and when he sees a problem, he doesn’t hesitate to shoot words that go straight to our minds. When he’s working, he’s very professional, but outside of work he’s an idiot *laughs*. He’s like a very close friend. 

Q. A word for the fans ?  

B.I: I’ve never once felt that I wanted to quit because of people who were always waiting for us and cheering us on. When I think of the fans, I realize even more that I can’t be satisfied with what I have now. I want to repay them with even better music and performances. Let’s be together for a really long time. 

Bobby: They’re like my friends. Thanks got waiting for so long. I’ll take a step closer to you from now on. 

Jinhwan: They’re an existence that I’m always sorry and thankful to. They’ve somehow become a reason I sing, the reason I go on stage. 

June:  I think they struggled as much, if not more than we did during the survival shows. If you just continue to love us like you do now, I have nothing more to ask for. 

Yunhyeong: We always say this, but thank you for waiting. We’ll become iKON that satisfies the fans’ expectations and love. 

Donghyuk: An experience that I can’t do without. I really want to repay you with better music. I love you. 

Chanwoo: People I’m thankful to, that recognize our hearts and our efforts better than anyone else. 

Q. WINNER’s Song Mino has mentioned in a recent interview that <SHOW ME THE MONEY 4> was such a difficult time for him, that if he were to turn back time, he wouldn’t want to do it again. As participant in <SHOW ME THE MONEY 3> do you agree? Also, you recently featured in MBC <INFINITY CHALLENGE - UGLY FRIEND FESTIVAL 2>. How do you feel ?

Bobby: For starters, <SMTM3> was an incredibly precious experience for me. Personally, if I were to turn back time, I think I’d want to do it again. Just like Mino hyung said, survivals are very hard, but as difficult as it was I got such important, irreplaceable experiences.
When I first received the invitation for <INFINITY CHALLENGE> I was confused and nervous, I actually think I’m really ugly, so I think I was good fit for the show. After I did go, I gained confidence in my looks. Watching the broadcast, I realized that I was better looking than I’s thought. I’m glad I went. 

Q. Including <SMTM3> you’ve been on 3 survivals. Lately you’ve been filming <MARI & ME> as a fixed cast member for first time - what’s harder, a survival or a variety ? You’ve also gained a nickname “Animal Pushover” do you like it ? 

B.I: I think it really depends on the variety show. Compared to <MARI & ME> the survival is harder. <MARI & ME> is spent with cute animal, so it’s comfortable and enjoyable.
The black goat Ahme was the most difficult to take care of. I think I got that nickname while trying to bathe her and letting her sleep on my arm, but I like it. I think it’s because they know I love animals that much *laughs*. 

Q. Amidst your busy schedules, what’s your favorite way to relieve stress ?

B.I: I sleep a lot. I also like watching movies. Honestly, instead of doing something special, I tend to spent my time doing everyday things. 

Jinhwan: When we’re busy, we’re super busy, but when we aren’t we really have nothing to do, so when our schedules get overwhelming I find strength by thinking of when we won’t be busy. When I’m tired I really spend the entire day sleeping. I’ve slept 20 hours straight before.  

Yunhyeong: I cook stuff like ddeokbokki for the members often. When they’re hungry they always ask me to make something for them. I relieve my stress by watching them enjoy the food I make. It also makes me realize that I’m an important part of the group in many ways *laughs*.

Donghyuk: We’re really close so we chatter and joke around while we work a lot. After our schedules are finished we order good food at the dorms and take walks too. 

Q. You were the maknae of Team B, but you’ve given that place to Jung Chanwoo. If you were to name a good and bad part of that, what would they be? Also, you and Koo Junhoe have become 20 years old this year - is there anything you’d like to do ?

Donghyuk: I did give the position to Chanwoo, but my relationships with the members are the same.There aren’t any bad parts to it, but if I were to name a good one I’ve escaped the hyungs’ errands *laughs*.
I’m not 20 years old, but I don’t really enjoy alcohol and there isn’t anything I’d really like to do. I hope that as an adult now, I can be more mature. 

Q. What kind of year was it for iKON last year? And what are your goals for this year? 

Bobby: Everything seemed to pass so quickly like a time lapse, so it was all so crazy. To be honest, there were so many difficult times that I feel like I didn’t enjoy myself properly that much. This year I want to enjoy myself more and work hard on our promotions. 

June: Before we debuted, there were many times things didn’t go according to my wishes so I felt frustrated often. I hated to think that I was spending my time meaninglessly, so I really feel like I had to do something and so I wrote a lot of songs. I haven’t been able to show them through the albums yet, but my goal is to write one of iKON album tracks, and even a solo album someday.  

Yunhyeong: Everything was a first for us - I was really nervous and made a lot of mistakes. I want to prepare our next album well and come back with an even more improved image. All of the members are very bright and multi-talented so I also hope to show ourselves well on varieties, not only through our music. 

Q. Compared to your trainee days, you’ve grown a lot as a vocalist. Have you realized your improvement yourself ? You’ve also said that you read hate comments more than you do the good ones - is your mentality really that strong ? 

June: I’m definitely better in <MIX & MATCH> than I was in <WIN> and I’m better now than I was then. I’m very ambitious when it comes to music. When I watch old videos, I’m always embarrassed that I showed a lot of lacking points. My personality is very strong on the outside but inside I worry a lot and have fragile heart. When I’m struggling, I tend to just struggle instead of hiding it. My biggest struggles are when I feel unworthy as a singer. But hate comments don’t seem to count here. There’s a lot of helpful ones, so it’s actually enjoyable to read them and I even laugh sometimes too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment